Filing a Claim After a Hit and Run Accident

Filing a Claim After a Hit and Run Accident

As drivers, we do our best to maintain good conduct when on the road and remain vigilant of our surroundings. Even the best drivers can have the odd accident due to inclement weather or simple distractions, however. In that case, one must take responsibility as the driver to stay on the scene and cooperate with those involved.

However, there are some accidents where drivers attempt to avoid all responsibility, leave the scene, and effectively commit a hit and run. These situations are particularly stressful for those left with damages to property or injuries who must pick up the pieces of what happened. Today, let’s cover the essentials of filing a claim after a hit and run accident.

First Steps

After any kind of incident like this, the first step is always to call 911 if someone is injured. Look around to see if there are any witnesses or video footage of the accident. Make note of the damage, taking photos and videos as evidence. Contact your insurance agency promptly so they know what happened. If emergency services are not needed, be sure to contact the police within 24 hours, as waiting any longer could put you at fault for the incident. 

Legally Speaking

Leaving the scene of an accident that you were directly or indirectly involved in is a criminal offence, and this is applicable at both the federal and provincial level. It can have serious consequences, such as fines or imprisonment, for the driver in question. Your insurance policy might be able to protect you from unidentified drivers for damage done to property. It may compensate you for lost wages if you sustained an injury. These claims can often be difficult in a hit and run accident, however, and may require the help of an experienced professional.

Hire a Personal Injury Lawyer

If you are going to move ahead with legal proceedings as a result of the hit and run accident, hiring a lawyer can be a vital tool in winning your case. If you are unsure about what you are entitled to as per your insurance, or if you choose to sue the other driver responsible, a well-regarded legal firm specialising in personal injury law is your best bet.

At Zuber Brioux, we are experienced in car accident claims of all kinds and personal injury law, demonstrating a wide range of expertise for our clients. Contact us for a free consultation if you are considering filing a claim.

Category Helpful Tips
Share :