Municipal Liability and Personal Injury

Municipal Liability and Personal Injury

Have you or a loved one been injured on public property? If so, you might be considering how to get compensation for your injuries and time off from work. The problem is, it’s not always easy to determine who owns the property and how you can navigate your claim. Read on to learn more about municipal liability and personal injury on public property.

Examples of Personal Injury and Municipal Liability

Here is an overview of common situations that point to government responsibility and what could be a potential claim. However, it’s important to note that it’s not always black and white:

  • Injuries on public transportation
  • Injuries on public playground
  • Slip and fall injuries on government property
  • Injuries caused by broken handrails 
  • Injuries in public facilities, parks etc

Seeking Compensation

The process for seeking compensation is similar to any other injury claim. But since it is against the government, you’ll likely need to provide ample evidence to support your claim. You’ll have to be able to prove that there was gross negligence on the part of the municipality, and there was blatant failure to properly maintain a safe environment. 

Filing a Claim

When an injury occurs, like any legal scenario, you’ll need to file a claim promptly. Since the standards are typically higher for making claims against the government, you’ll also need to be extra cautious with this process to ensure you follow the exact steps and rules outlined by the agency. Make sure to be specific about where and how the injury occurred as it will be investigated. You’ll also need to include your personal details, and any financial losses you’ve incurred as a result.

The More Evidence, the Better

To succeed with your claim, having as much evidence as possible will be essential. To be most effective, here’s what to include:

  • Confirm that it is government-owned property when you were injured
  • Take video on your phone and snap pics to document the incident and source of injury at the time it happened
  • Talk to any witnesses and ask to document their personal info or have them sign a statement
  • File a report with the government agency and obtain their info and a copy of the report
  • Make an appointment with your doctor and keep any details and records available 

Call an Injury Lawyer

When it comes to any legal matters, a simple mistake could lead to a negative outcome. Consulting a lawyer who is experienced in these cases is imperative for helping you navigate through this hefty process. They can offer their expertise to ensure you have everything needed to seek and receive compensation from a government agency.

If you’ve endured a personal injury on public property, our legal team will be by your side to provide the right advice and determine the best course of action based on your case. Get in touch with Zuber Brioux today!

Share :